Doll Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease
Pros and Cons of this controversial therapy
Anyone who has seen it happen knows that a doll has the power to soothe and comfort people with Alzheimer’s disease. Formal investigation of the effects that dolls can have on people who have Alzheimer’s disease is in the early stages, but talk to caregivers who have participated in doll therapy for dementia and most of them will speak positively about the experience. Dolls have been shown repeatedly to soothe and comfort people with Alzheimer’s. Although it can be discomforting to see an adult hold a doll, we need to acknowledge the benefit that doll therapy can provide.
Doll Therapy Research
Much of the research involving doll therapy for Alzheimer’s disease has been carried out at Newcastle General Hospital in England and in care facilities in the area of Newcastle. Clinical Psychologist Ian James and nursing specialist Lorna Mackenzie, with others, reported significant improvement in the behavior of nursing home residents with dementia when dolls were introduced to the residents as a choice.
Various studies done by this group, all observing the effect of baby doll therapy on people with dementia, all reached similar conclusions. Using dolls to alter behavior in patients with dementia, Nursing Times VOL: 103, ISSUE: 5, PAGE NO: 36-37, (a British journal, which explains the funny spelling) summed it up like this:
The results of the study provide support for the hypotheses that after the introduction of dolls, doll-users showed an increase in positive behaviour and a decrease in negative behaviour and incidents of aggression compared with before the dolls were introduced. These results support previous attitudinal studies, which have reported doll therapy to be an effective approach in reducing negative and challenging behaviours, and promoting more positive behaviours and mood.
These conclusions are in agreement with so much anecdotal evidence reported by caregivers that credit doll therapy for Alzheimer’s with increasing quality of life for people with dementia. Some have even reported that they were able to reduce medications as a direct result of doll therapy.
It is important that carers be onboard…
A study³ published in the journal Age and Ageing concentrated, in part, on caregiver reaction to the introduction of dolls into the care environment. Residents with dementia in two facilities in England were introduced to dolls. All of the caregivers in the facility were given surveys before and after the study. Although nine of the 46 staff members voiced some initial concern, mostly centering on the idea that the dolls would be ‘babyish’, ‘ totally demeaning’, ‘ patronizing’, or otherwise ‘inappropriate’. In the interview that followed the conclusion of the study, only one caregiver retained this concern. All of the others “felt that there were clear benefits of using the dolls. . . . 14 carers felt that residents’ lives were a little better, and 32 felt that their lives were much better.
Doll Therapy for Alzheimer’s
- Better Dementia Care Without DrugsJuly 1, 2020 - 7:36 AM
- Best Alzheimer’s Products In The MediaFebruary 18, 2021 - 8:53 AM
- Caring For CaregiversFebruary 17, 2021 - 1:42 PM
- The holidays from the point of view of a person with Alzheimer’sOctober 29, 2020 - 4:51 PM
- How Stage Affects Your Choice Of GiftOctober 27, 2020 - 5:13 PM
- What Not To Gift A Person With Alzheimer’sOctober 27, 2020 - 11:54 AM
- Sharing Holidays If You Can’t Be ThereOctober 27, 2020 - 11:43 AM
Best Alzheimer’s Products
Organizations & Affiliations
Purple Angel Ambassador
Dementia Friendly America
- Activity Professionals
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Medicine
- Alternative Therapy
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Best Alzheimer's Products
- Better Dementia Care
- Care Providers
- Designers + Architects
- Food for Alzheimer's
- For Caregivers
- Health Professionals
- Hope On The Horizon
- Library Workers
- Preventing Alzheimer's
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
- The service was swift and your staff goes above and beyond. The Twiddle Pup has already brought my Mom comfort and companionship. It keeps her hands busy and she looks for it when it’s been put aside for whatever reason. I have told many of my friends and families that I’ve met through the journey with my Mom about the product and the other varieties that it comes it. I have nothing but good things to say about this purchase! Doris