Some of the latest developments in dementia research, care practices, and treatment.
About John Schmid
Degrees in psychology and education as well as professional certifications in business administration and website development gave John the ideal credentials to co-found and develop an internet presence dedicated to helping caregivers provide exceptional care to those who are no longer able to care for themselves because of the impact of dementia. Since 2007, Best Alzheimer's Products has earned national and international recognition as a place to go for help and advice, with the goal of making life better for people living with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.
Entries by John Schmid
There are many reasons to get an early and accurate diagnosis if you suspect dementia. Included: treatment is sometimes more effective when started early, early diagnosis gives one time to get affairs in order, and diagnosis might be more accurate if done early. Most importantly, there are many diseases and conditions that mimic Alzheimer’s disease as well as the symptoms associated with most other causes of dementia. Many of these are treatable and even curable!
At a conference we attended recently we were able to spend some face time with Cindy and Darryl, creators of Serenity Babies. We had a really nice visit, as it has been a couple of years since we last saw them. They shared some tips for using dolls as therapy.
Millions of people fall victim to scams each year, including an increasing amount of seniors who are especially targeted. Scammers are becoming more savvy and refined with their fraudulent measures, so it is more important than ever to identity the scams before becoming a victim.
A recent study found that certain lifestyle factors reduce the amount of amyloid plaque and fibrillary tangles in the brain. These plaques and tangles are always present in the Alzheimer’s affected brain. Diet & exercise.
Imaging technologies like the fMRI, the EEG, SPECT scan, and the CT PET scan allow us to watch electrical activity and blood flow in the brain as it responds to different stimuli and situations. One thing we are learning is there is a special connection between music and the brain.
Several clothing manufacturers, including Tommy Hilfiger, are developing clothing designed to make it easier for people with a variety of disabilities to dress themselves, and help care providers to more easily and more effectively do their job.
Brainpaths® is a unique concept. It is based on the fact that each of our fingertips contain more than 3000 nerve receptors that connect directly to our brains. As the grooves in the discs are traced repeatedly with the fingers, those receptors send messages to the somatosensory cortex in the parietal lobe of the brain. Sensory stimulation like this can modify the structure of the brain.
Once we had a good start on the website, we began a search for games, puzzles, alarms, and other products that all of our research indicated would benefit Bernice and others with Alzheimer’s disease.
That was not as easy as we thought it would be!
Auditory stimulation for people with Alzheimer’s and dementia is effective for mood enhancement, relaxation, and cognition; just as it is for everyone else.
- Hope On The Horizon — 6/20/2018June 20, 2018 - 10:54 AM
- Hope On The HorizonJune 5, 2018 - 12:28 PM
- Conditions That Mimic Alzheimer’s (Why Early Diagnosis is Important)November 15, 2017 - 5:17 PM
- Dolls as Therapy for DementiaOctober 15, 2016 - 3:16 PM
- Seniors Targeted by Con Artists and SwindlersJanuary 17, 2018 - 10:03 AM
- UCLA Study Finds Certain Lifestyle Choices Reduce Plaques and Tangles in the BrainSeptember 8, 2016 - 1:43 PM
- About Us
- Activities for Alzheimer’s
- Activities for Alzheimer’s & Dementia
- Alternative Therapy for Alzheimer’s
- Alzheimer’s Caregiver Resources
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s FAQ
- Alzheimer’s Research
- Alzheimer’s Symptoms
- Aromatherapy for Alzheimer’s
- Art Therapy for Alzheimer’s
- Best Alzheimer’s Products
- Best Alzheimer’s Products Registration
- Can We Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease?
- Contact Us
- Creating Art as Therapy for Alzheimer’s
- Doll Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease: Pros and Cons
- Enjoying Art as Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease
- Entertainment for Alzheimer’s
- Food For Alzheimer’s
- For the Alzheimer’s Caregiver
- Games For People With Alzheimer’s
- Gifts for Alzheimer’s
- Join the Conversation | Best Alzheimer’s Products
- Light Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease
- Music Therapy for Alzheimers
- Press Info
- Puzzles for Alzheimer’s
- Reminiscence Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease
- Sensory Stimulation for Alzheimer’s
- Seven Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Share Your Story
- The Alzheimer’s Brain
- The Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Three Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Toys for People with Alzheimer’s
- Visual Stimulation for Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Organizations & Affiliations
Purple Angel Ambassador
Dementia Friendly America
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
- Thanks, Appreciate that “extra effort”. Don’t seem to run into that much anymore… and that is a shame. I’m really looking forward to receiving the “toys” for my wife. I pray they will work as good as one of her caregivers told me they would. Ken
- “Needless to say, her need for sedatives has stopped.” Carla