Some of the latest developments in dementia research, care practices, and treatment.
About Holly Schmid
Holly Schmid started caring for her longtime family friend, Bernice, when she developed Alzheimer’s and was unable to care for herself. Her journey of caring for Bernice and finding activities that Bernice would like led her to develop Best Alzheimer’s Products to help other caregivers and improve the quality of life for those living with Alzheimer’s.
Early in my caregiving role for our family friend, Bernice, I could have used and surely would have welcomed some important lessons from an Alzheimer’s caregiver.
Bernice was a mentor of mine who had no other family. We knew each other for 30 years and she became like family, watching our children grow up, coming to our house for holidays and just being a part of our lives. When dementia crept into her life, my husband and I became her guardians.
As Bernice’s caregiver, friend, and power of attorney, I was responsible for decisions made for her care. I never really considered what would happen when the need for emergency medical care for Alzheimer’s arose. An emergency trip to the hospital can be traumatic for you as the caregiver as well as the person in your care. After several falls that resulted in trips to the hospital over the last three years, I finally had a system figured out that worked for me.
- Better Dementia Care Without DrugsJuly 1, 2020 - 7:36 AM
- Best Alzheimer’s Products In The MediaFebruary 18, 2021 - 8:53 AM
- Caring For CaregiversFebruary 17, 2021 - 1:42 PM
- The holidays from the point of view of a person with Alzheimer’sOctober 29, 2020 - 4:51 PM
- How Stage Affects Your Choice Of GiftOctober 27, 2020 - 5:13 PM
- What Not To Gift A Person With Alzheimer’sOctober 27, 2020 - 11:54 AM
- Sharing Holidays If You Can’t Be ThereOctober 27, 2020 - 11:43 AM
Best Alzheimer’s Products
Organizations & Affiliations
Purple Angel Ambassador
Dementia Friendly America
- Activity Professionals
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Medicine
- Alternative Therapy
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Best Alzheimer's Products
- Better Dementia Care
- Care Providers
- Designers + Architects
- Food for Alzheimer's
- For Caregivers
- Health Professionals
- Hope On The Horizon
- Library Workers
- Preventing Alzheimer's
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
- “Needless to say, her need for sedatives has stopped.” Carla