Non-pharmacological therapy for Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
Imaging technologies like the fMRI, the EEG, SPECT scan, and the CT PET scan allow us to watch electrical activity and blood flow in the brain as it responds to different stimuli and situations. One thing we are learning is there is a special connection between music and the brain.
At a conference we attended recently we were able to spend some face time with Cindy and Darryl, creators of Serenity Babies. We had a really nice visit, as it has been a couple of years since we last saw them. They shared some tips for using dolls as therapy.
Soothing sensory stimulation is known to help people who have dementia. Benefits include increased socialization and communication as well as a reduction in depression and anxiety and many other behavioral and psychological symptoms.
Once we had a good start on the website, we began a search for games, puzzles, alarms, and other products that all of our research indicated would benefit Bernice and others with Alzheimer’s disease.
That was not as easy as we thought it would be!
Professional caregivers rave about the effectiveness of Twiddles®. Having something to hold and manipulate, something to “twiddle” or fidget with, has a calming effect on a person who has dementia. The textures, the gadgets, the warm coziness of the Twiddles® are all there for just that reason. The stimulation they provide truly adds to the individual’s quality of life.
Taste is very closely aligned with smell and can lead to reminiscences. A favorite meal or a particular dish one has not had for a long time often triggers a flood of recollections.
Auditory stimulation for people with Alzheimer’s and dementia is effective for mood enhancement, relaxation, and cognition; just as it is for everyone else.
- Better Dementia Care Without DrugsJuly 1, 2020 - 7:36 AM
- Alzheimer’s service animalsSeptember 1, 2020 - 1:20 PM
- How to Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits with Alzheimer’sJune 17, 2020 - 3:39 PM
- Can Natural Supplements and Practices Treat Alzheimer’s?June 12, 2020 - 1:54 PM
- Suggested Books for Dementia CareFebruary 18, 2020 - 4:18 PM
- Aging in PlaceJanuary 27, 2020 - 3:21 PM
Best Alzheimer’s Products
Organizations & Affiliations
Purple Angel Ambassador
Dementia Friendly America
- Activity Professionals
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Medicine
- Alternative Therapy
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Best Alzheimer's Products
- Better Dementia Care
- Care Providers
- Designers + Architects
- Food for Alzheimer's
- For Caregivers
- Health Professionals
- Hope On The Horizon
- Library Workers
- Preventing Alzheimer's
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
- First of all, thank you for such a tremendous, caring and comprehensive website, I always pass the word along to those I think might benefit from it. Thank you so much, I really look forward to giving him something he can actually do. Lisa