In January of 2011 , President Obama signed the National Alzheimer’s Project Act into law. The act calls for a coordinated national effort to attack the disease and improve care. The President has increased funding for Alzheimer’s research every year since. Much of the rest of the world has adopted similar programs and increased their own budgets to combat this coming epidemic.
Millions of people fall victim to scams each year, including an increasing amount of seniors who are especially targeted. Scammers are becoming more savvy and refined with their fraudulent measures, so it is more important than ever to identity the scams before becoming a victim.
There are many reasons to get an early and accurate diagnosis if you suspect dementia. Included: treatment is sometimes more effective when started early, early diagnosis gives one time to get affairs in order, and diagnosis might be more accurate if done early. Most importantly, there are many diseases and conditions that mimic Alzheimer’s disease as well as the symptoms associated with most other causes of dementia. Many of these are treatable and even curable!
A recent study found that certain lifestyle factors reduce the amount of amyloid plaque and fibrillary tangles in the brain. These plaques and tangles are always present in the Alzheimer’s affected brain. Diet & exercise.
According to their report a team of investigators in the Netherlands saw a significantly higher rate of leakage in the BBB in people who had early symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease than normal. These findings could give us a powerful tool in our search for a cure.
Amidst all of these dire forecasts, a recent study published in Nature Communications (April, 2016) reports declining dementia rates in England. These trends are being seen in other countries as well. And the researchers cannot attribute this downward trend to medical advances.
Our sense organs are an extension of our brain. It is through these specialized organs that we get information about our surroundings and about ourselves. But Alzheimer’s affects perception in a way that makes understanding the world difficult.
A study at MIT found that mice with Alzheimer’s remembered better after being active in a stimulating environment.
The question, “Can Coconut Oil Cure Alzheimer’s Disease?” first occurred to Dr. Newport when her husband, Steve, showed marked improvement after she began to include coconut oil in his diet. Just 4 1/2 hours after she first stirred coconut oil into his morning oatmeal he showed a marked improvement in memory functioning on a cognitive test!
It may be that a few changes in lifestyle can provide us with protection against Alzheimer’s disease and other brain conditions that can lead to dementia. Carefully considering our diet, what we do with our leisure time, and even how we sleep may be our best chance of avoiding dementia.
- Better Dementia Care Without DrugsJuly 1, 2020 - 7:36 AM
- Best Alzheimer’s Products In The MediaFebruary 18, 2021 - 8:53 AM
- Caring For CaregiversFebruary 17, 2021 - 1:42 PM
- The holidays from the point of view of a person with Alzheimer’sOctober 29, 2020 - 4:51 PM
- How Stage Affects Your Choice Of GiftOctober 27, 2020 - 5:13 PM
- What Not To Gift A Person With Alzheimer’sOctober 27, 2020 - 11:54 AM
- Sharing Holidays If You Can’t Be ThereOctober 27, 2020 - 11:43 AM
Best Alzheimer’s Products
Organizations & Affiliations
Purple Angel Ambassador
Dementia Friendly America
- Activity Professionals
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Medicine
- Alternative Therapy
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Best Alzheimer's Products
- Better Dementia Care
- Care Providers
- Designers + Architects
- Food for Alzheimer's
- For Caregivers
- Health Professionals
- Hope On The Horizon
- Library Workers
- Preventing Alzheimer's
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
- The service was swift and your staff goes above and beyond. The Twiddle Pup has already brought my Mom comfort and companionship. It keeps her hands busy and she looks for it when it’s been put aside for whatever reason. I have told many of my friends and families that I’ve met through the journey with my Mom about the product and the other varieties that it comes it. I have nothing but good things to say about this purchase! Doris