Imaging technologies like the fMRI, the EEG, SPECT scan, and the CT PET scan allow us to watch electrical activity and blood flow in the brain as it responds to different stimuli and situations. One thing we are learning is there is a special connection between music and the brain.
At a conference we attended recently we were able to spend some face time with Cindy and Darryl, creators of Serenity Babies. We had a really nice visit, as it has been a couple of years since we last saw them. They shared some tips for using dolls as therapy.
A recent study found that certain lifestyle factors reduce the amount of amyloid plaque and fibrillary tangles in the brain. These plaques and tangles are always present in the Alzheimer’s affected brain. Diet & exercise.
Several clothing manufacturers, including Tommy Hilfiger, are developing clothing designed to make it easier for people with a variety of disabilities to dress themselves, and help care providers to more easily and more effectively do their job.
Our sense organs are an extension of our brain. It is through these specialized organs that we get information about our surroundings and about ourselves. But Alzheimer’s affects perception in a way that makes understanding the world difficult.
The words we use do, to a great extent, influence the way we think, and the way we think, in turn, affects our actions.
Communicating with Alzheimer’s is difficult, but don’t stop trying. Even more frustrating for the person with Alzheimer’s than the difficulty he is experiencing making his thoughts known to you is the thought that you have given up trying, or don’t want to communicate with him.
A couple of us from Best Alzheimer’s Products attended the The 2013 National Adult Day Services Conference in Louisville, KY. I attended Person-Centered Approaches to Challenging Behaviors, given by Beth Meyer-Arnold and Lyn Geboy. Person centered care is something we have always advocated, but I was still able to learn a lot about creating an environment that is truly person centered.
improving the quality of life for those living with the disease and their families. This means a coordinated strategy that values, supports and encourages non-drug approaches and subsequent research with the same devotion as drug research,” Angela Lunde, Mayo Clinic health education outreach coordinator, says in her Alzheimer’s blog.
The news is frightening! Movie plots can be hard to follow. Most sit-coms are just dumb. Let’s watch alternative television. Best Alzheimer’s Products offers several options.
- Better Dementia Care Without DrugsJuly 1, 2020 - 7:36 AM
- Best Alzheimer’s Products In The MediaFebruary 18, 2021 - 8:53 AM
- Caring For CaregiversFebruary 17, 2021 - 1:42 PM
- The holidays from the point of view of a person with Alzheimer’sOctober 29, 2020 - 4:51 PM
- How Stage Affects Your Choice Of GiftOctober 27, 2020 - 5:13 PM
- What Not To Gift A Person With Alzheimer’sOctober 27, 2020 - 11:54 AM
- Sharing Holidays If You Can’t Be ThereOctober 27, 2020 - 11:43 AM
Best Alzheimer’s Products
Organizations & Affiliations
Purple Angel Ambassador
Dementia Friendly America
- Activity Professionals
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Medicine
- Alternative Therapy
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Best Alzheimer's Products
- Better Dementia Care
- Care Providers
- Designers + Architects
- Food for Alzheimer's
- For Caregivers
- Health Professionals
- Hope On The Horizon
- Library Workers
- Preventing Alzheimer's
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
- I just received a parcel of games, books and puzzles I ordered from you online. It only took a few days to get here which is pretty amazing. I think I wait longer than that for things to be delivered within my own country! But I digress, I wanted to say thank you very much. My mother is now going through the box, I’ve not seen her so animated in a while. She’s in the later stages of Alzheimer’s/Dementia and spends a lot of her time just sitting around not doing much and I’ve found it extremely difficult to find things that are suitable to keep her occupied and engaged. So much of what she used to be able to do and enjoy is now beyond her and although she tries, it just creates frustration for her. This cache of goodies looks like it’s going to be the solution, thank you Joanna Carter