Using the Octaband®
There are unlimited ways to use the Octaband®. For safety, when using it the first time with a group, start with a simple activity. Some initial activities include:
- Slowly and creatively move the arms to music
- Play “Simon Says”
- Move as a group while maintaining the shape of the circle
Be sure to monitor all activities carefully. Groups should be supervised at all times when using the Octaband®
Use the Octaband® on both arms or on one arm at a time. Encourage caregivers, family, and others to participate. Accompany the activity with upbeat music, something the members of your group will recognize. Move to the music and watch each participant focus attention on you. Your group will be watching you for cues, so be lively and have fun. Slow, controlled movements are more important (and safer) than fast movements.
Once a group is familiar with and comfortable using the Octaband®, use your imagination to come up with more activities. Different groups will have different abilities and dynamics, and will enjoy different activities. Be creative, and ask for (and watch for) suggestions.
In addition to being just plain fun, the following are some of the benefits derived from using the Octaband®
- Can be used by people of all ages and abilities
- Increases self-expression
- Builds awareness of others
- Encourages cooperation
- Magnifies recognition of one’s effect on others
- Promotes group cohesion
- Provides focus for attention
- Heightens spontaneity
- Enhances liveliness
- Invites a playful environment
- Reinforces resilience
- Stimulates imagination
- Increases alertness
- Furthers individuality and creativity
There are no reviews yet.