Content that is particularly relevant to professional care providers, activity professionals, designers and architects of dementia friendly living communities, and anyone involved in the dementia friendly movement, like library workers, salon workers, etc.
A library can be an influential and valuable part of creating a community that is supportive to people living with dementia, including care providers.
There are many reasons to get an early and accurate diagnosis if you suspect dementia. Included: treatment is sometimes more effective when started early, early diagnosis gives one time to get affairs in order, and diagnosis might be more accurate if done early. Most importantly, there are many diseases and conditions that mimic Alzheimer’s disease as well as the symptoms associated with most other causes of dementia. Many of these are treatable and even curable!
Imaging technologies like the fMRI, the EEG, SPECT scan, and the CT PET scan allow us to watch electrical activity and blood flow in the brain as it responds to different stimuli and situations. One thing we are learning is there is a special connection between music and the brain.
At a conference we attended recently we were able to spend some face time with Cindy and Darryl, creators of Serenity Babies. We had a really nice visit, as it has been a couple of years since we last saw them. They shared some tips for using dolls as therapy.
A recent study found that certain lifestyle factors reduce the amount of amyloid plaque and fibrillary tangles in the brain. These plaques and tangles are always present in the Alzheimer’s affected brain. Diet & exercise.
Several clothing manufacturers, including Tommy Hilfiger, are developing clothing designed to make it easier for people with a variety of disabilities to dress themselves, and help care providers to more easily and more effectively do their job.
Our sense organs are an extension of our brain. It is through these specialized organs that we get information about our surroundings and about ourselves. But Alzheimer’s affects perception in a way that makes understanding the world difficult.
Soothing sensory stimulation is known to help people who have dementia. Benefits include increased socialization and communication as well as a reduction in depression and anxiety and many other behavioral and psychological symptoms.
- Better Dementia Care Without DrugsJuly 1, 2020 - 7:36 AM
- Best Alzheimer’s Products In The MediaFebruary 18, 2021 - 8:53 AM
- Caring For CaregiversFebruary 17, 2021 - 1:42 PM
- The holidays from the point of view of a person with Alzheimer’sOctober 29, 2020 - 4:51 PM
- How Stage Affects Your Choice Of GiftOctober 27, 2020 - 5:13 PM
- What Not To Gift A Person With Alzheimer’sOctober 27, 2020 - 11:54 AM
- Sharing Holidays If You Can’t Be ThereOctober 27, 2020 - 11:43 AM
Best Alzheimer’s Products
Organizations & Affiliations
Purple Angel Ambassador
Dementia Friendly America
- Activity Professionals
- Adult Day Services
- Alternative Medicine
- Alternative Therapy
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Best Alzheimer's Products
- Better Dementia Care
- Care Providers
- Designers + Architects
- Food for Alzheimer's
- For Caregivers
- Health Professionals
- Hope On The Horizon
- Library Workers
- Preventing Alzheimer's
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
- The service was swift and your staff goes above and beyond. The Twiddle Pup has already brought my Mom comfort and companionship. It keeps her hands busy and she looks for it when it’s been put aside for whatever reason. I have told many of my friends and families that I’ve met through the journey with my Mom about the product and the other varieties that it comes it. I have nothing but good things to say about this purchase! Doris